Single Page App Rocketship
Spar is an opinionated framework that makes developing and deploying single-page web apps and static websites using modern front-end technology like SASS, Haml, and Coffeescript a cinch.
We created Spar to decouple front-end development and deployment from specific backend languages like ruby, python, or Java.
Who should use Spar?
- Developers who have completely decoupled web applications (i.e. Old New Twitter) who want to do front-end development with state of the art tools like Coffeescript and SASS independent of their backend API stack.
- Designers who love using modern technology like SASS, Less, and Haml but don't feel comfortable running and deploying apps in frameworks like Rails or Django.
- Anyone who needs to make simple static websites and host them as static files on S3 (i.e. for really really cheap).
Under the hood, Spar uses Rack and Sprockets to provide a powerful asset pipeline similar to Rail's asset pipeline. If you're familiar with the Rail's asset pipeline, you'll feel right at home with Spar.
We’ve got some examples to get you going.
What makes Spar different?
- Intepret configuration variables in your assets. For instance, setup an `api_url` variable that's different for your development vs. production environments.
- No server-side language knowledge necessary. If you know how to type a few commands into the terminal you'll be good to go.
gem install spar spar new YOUR_APP cd YOUR_APP spar server
spar deploy production
A full mission brief can be found at our GitHub repo here on planet Earth.
Issues, forks, and pull requests will be addressed in a timely fashion!